5 - 120 San Antonio Drive, Hamilton, Ontario L9C 5N2 • 905-389-2670 • Fax 905-389-4642

Category Archives: Tax

Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS)

Canadian businesses, not-for-profit organizations, and charities experiencing decreases in revenue due to the Covid-19 pandemic may be eligible for a subsidy to cover part of their rent or property expenses from September 27, 2020 until June 2021.


The following 4 criteria must be met in order to be eligible for CERS:

  1. Meet at least one of the conditions below:
    1. You had a CRA business number on September 27, 2020.
    1. You had a payroll account on March 15, 2020 or another person or partnership made payroll remittances on your behalf.
    1. Youpurchased the business assets of another person or partnership who meets condition b above, and have made an electionunder the special asset acquisition rules.
  2. Are an eligible business, charity, or non-profit organization.
  3. You experience a drop in revenue. Your drop in revenue is calculated by comparing your eligible revenue in the month of the claim period to the eligible revenue from a previous period. There is no minimum drop in revenue required. The amount of the drop will determine the amount of the subsidy which can be claimed.
  4. Have eligible expenses.

Eligible Expenses

For Rented properties:

  • Rent (exclusive of any HST)

For Owned properties:

  • Property Tax
  • Property Insurance
  • Mortgage Interest

If you qualified for Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) and you have any of the above expenses, then you will also be able to claim this rebate as well starting in September 2020 until June 5, 2021.

Qualifying Property

Properties that qualify include any “real and immovable property” (buildings or land) in Canada that your organization: owns/rents and utilizes for ordinary business activities.

Properties that do not qualify include:

  • your home, cottage, or other residence used by you, your family members, or other non-arm’s-length persons;
  • any properties you own that are primarily used to earn rental income from arm’s-length parties; or
  • any properties that are primarily used to earn rental income directly or indirectly from a non-arm’s length party

You have 180 days after the end of each claim period to file. The first period in September is due the end of this month.  Please contact us if you require assistance pursuing this rent subsidy.



Working From Home 2020 Income Tax Deductions

With the new challenges faced during 2020 with Covid-19, many employers have transitioned to working remotely by having employees perform their duties from home. New for 2020, CRA has introduced a simplified method for eligible employees to deduct expenses related to working from home. Eligibility All of the following criteria must be met for eligibility… Continue Reading

Common issues with Charity Returns

Charities have many obligations to the government with respect to reporting and operating with due care. One of these reporting requirements is the annual Charity Return, or T3010, that is required to be filed by all Charities. This return is required to be filed annually within six months of the Charity’s year end.  Charities who… Continue Reading

Have you moved in 2016? Learn about tax changes so you don’t pay more than you should

    The Principal Residence Exemption has long been a huge tax savings to Canadians.  It allows a person to be exempt from tax on capital gains if they’re selling their primary home.  In the Liberal’s new budget, there have been some changes to the Principle Residence Exemption that could affect you in the 2016… Continue Reading

Teacher and Early Childhood Educator School Supply Tax Credit

Educators In the 2016 Budget that was published by the Liberal government, a new tax credit was introduced for teachers and early childhood educators. This new tax credit is based on an amount up to $1,000 in expenditures made by an eligible educator employee for eligible supplies. For all eligible teachers and early childhood educators… Continue Reading